Monday, June 8, 2009

Keeping it Simple and Real

Sometimes life feels like a juggling act where one wrong move could send everything crashing in bedlam. Be kind to others. Look your best. Serve with excellence. Be smart. Use your talents well. Tend to all of your relationships. Meet deadlines. Stay fit. And all the while still smiling.

But I am tired of excellence at the moment and want to spend a bohemian summer reading some great books, writing and loving people, maybe even wear hemp clothing and funky jewelry. And as I am encouraged by God, I want to consider how to encourage others better and how to reach the young generation more effectively. And of course I want to get out and exercise in the beautiful summer weather and have fun with family and friends. And play my flute.

But wait, this is starting to sound like the same list, only packaged differently. The difference is that it is grace-oriented, not task-oriented, and fueled and refreshed by love. I am a choleric artist, an oxymoron, I know. Don’t try this at home. I am as driven as a race car driver with an idealism that is always elusive. I think I understand how Thoreau felt when he wrote: “Our life is frittered away by detail. . . Simpilicity, simplicity, simplicity!”

This morning I ran four miles and ate a bowl of cherries. Ukrainian cherries are the best. I am writing this in my “Drops of Jupiter” jeans and flip flops at one of my favorite neighborhood coffee shops. I think I will spend the summer this way and take it on into the fall, simplified and streamlined, not wearied by the minutiae of detail. Hey, maybe I can even spell something out of it. You know, one of those acronyms:

S eek God
I nvest talents wisely
M ake disciples
P lay often
L ove others
E njoy life

Real SIMPLE, that’s it, she writes with a smile as she sips her cappuccino and spends time with the important people in her life. (Painting of our region, Podol, in Kiev.)

"But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.”
(Luke 10:41-42, NLT)

"Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don't worry about missing out. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met."
(Matt. 6:33, The Message)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello ... nice post and nice painting :)

rachel

Anonymous said...

I just came to kiev 2 weeks ago and will be here for a few months. I don't even remember how i stumbled onto your blog (i think i googled church and ukraine and came across your husband's blog first). just wanted to tell you that your post on june 8 really encouraged me. please keep posting!

Myra Watkins said...

Great! You can email me on my gmail account and I will get back with you. Myra

Anonymous said...

Dear Myra,
We have never met, but I just stumbled upon your blog, I googled 'encouraging thoughts' and your blog popped up. Praise the Lord, I am a Christain- with a missionary heart, married and living in Seattle, WA. Just wanted you to know that you have touched my heart. I was so inspired by one of your blog posts that I printed it off and read it to my bible study. Blessings to you and yours!
Kindly,
Asha

Michelle said...

Wow! Glad you visited my blog and I just enjoyed reading yours! Yes, please email me at mmkukraine@yahoo.com!!!!