Monday, October 29, 2007

How to Encourage Yourself 101 (Part 2)

1) Redefine failure
Mistakes can be valuable learning experiences. There is a well-known definition of insanity attributed to Albert Einstein: “doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” If you take yourself too seriously, you may want to give up when you make mistakes instead of learning from them and moving on. The real difference between success and failure is a matter of character. It helps to have a clear understanding of the grace of God and how He works in our lives. If we continue to grow in our walk with God and our relationships, while staying on course in the purpose for our lives, we are successful.

2) View stress as a challenge, not a threat
People tend to run or hide from a threat, but rise to a challenge. In his book “Adversity Quotient: Turning Obstacles into Opportunities”, Paul Stoltz teaches individuals and organizations how to boost their “AQ” and help the people they lead to do the same by isolating stressful events and responding in a positive way to bring resolution. One of my favorite empowering verses is: “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Phil. 4:13)

3) See beyond difficult times
This, too, will pass. Can you endure your trial for one more day? Ask God for the strength, peace and joy for today, just taking it one day at a time. And one day, you will be looking back on that trial as a thing of the past. The lessons you learned during that time will be helpful for someone else who is going through similar difficulties. 2 Cor 1:3,4

4) Read and listen to encouraging materials
I am always reading the Bible and some other book. It is a habit I began more than twenty years ago, having learned it from my father. But I am always amazed by the study habits of great men and women a century or so ago. I suppose they had fewer distractions than we do in the modern age, but we have a benefit they never had. We have immediate access to information, music and videos online, which can serve as a source of study, inspiration and encouragement. I am also greatly inspired by music. I am always encouraged when I listen to my favorite artists.

5) Encourage others
When I take time to encourage someone else, I often come away with a better perspective of my own situation. My trials usually seem smaller. God refreshes us when we minister to others. “He who waters will himself be watered.” Prov 11:25

6) Pray
I can’t think of anyone better to talk to on any given day about any concern than God. Enough said!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was really encouraging . I sometimes will get depressio that comes over me . It is in my family genes. My youngest son too. We have to focus on others and wage war literally from getting trampled on .( by the enemy ) I would apprreciate prayer because my youngest has Obsessive compulsive disorder. He has a great sense of humor but i think he uses that to please people and then after he is mad at himself and feel condemnation . Please pray for him . This is magnified at his age . Age 15.
Anna Bajus