Thursday, February 15, 2007

Worth the Investment

I remember quiet evenings with my father in his study. He would sit in his comfortable chair, lost in thought while he read and listened to classical music. But I always knew that he was available to talk. We would discuss books, world events, history, dreams, aspirations, ideas ranging from the real to the surreal, and faith in God. He told me regularly that he loved me and that I could do anything I put my mind to, anything I dreamed of accomplishing. I believed it and the security from that love and affirmation took residence deep in the recesses of my heart. I remember his favorite verse, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” Phil. 4:13. I can remember the sound of his voice and the love in his eyes. That is how it should be.

I have met many young women who grew up fatherless or in abusive homes. After meeting Jesus, they begin to find out their new identity in Christ. They begin to discover a personal, close relationship with their heavenly Father. Love begins to unlock their hearts and emotions, bringing light to their eyes and security to their souls. Sometimes it is a tumultuous process, but truth shapes a new reality for their lives. And when they begin to reach others, life is reproduced instead of pain. Powerful.

It is always worth the time we invest in our children and the people around us. This should not be a distraction from our busy schedules, but a priority.